Development has been cruising right along on Hive. While we’re still a few months away from a final version, we’ve gotten to the point that the game is playable as local multiplayer “pass-n-play” (where you share the same controller).
Obviously that’s very limited functionality, but it’s a very important milestone. Right now, players can start to hammer on the game to make sure the rules are exactly as expected and that the controls feel right.
We know there are a lot of die-hard Hive fans out there, and we’d love to have your feedback while we continue to develop the game so that we can make sure to do justice to the boardgame.
That’s why we’re starting a private Alpha Test and asking anyone interested to apply!
Hive Alpha Test
Here is some more info:
- You need an Xbox-controller with a cord and a PC with .NET installed.*
- You’ll get a download-link and will be notified when new versions of the alpha are available to download (probably every couple of weeks).
- You will be invited to a private Alpha Test forum, where you can leave as much feedback as you want and discuss things with us as well as the other testers.
- The PC Alpha-test version of the game will expire in a few months since we don’t have rights to distribute the game on PC (we got special permission for this Alpha Test).
- We’ll need your email address. We will only email you about things relating to the Alpha test.**
- Your name (or alias, if you prefer) will appear in the credits of the game.
Apply for the Private Alpha
If you’d like to be part of the Alpha, please do one (or more) of the following:
- Tweet that you’d like to be in the alpha (here is a pre-assembled tweet!), and follow @BlueLineGames so that we can direct-message you more info.
- “Like” the BlueLine Game Studios facebook page then post on our wall that you want to be in the Alpha Test (we’ll fb-message you more info).
- We prefer the other two methods but if you don’t have twitter or facebook, just send an email to “sean” at this site (bluelinegamestudios.com).
Thanks in advance for helping us make sure that Hive for Xbox is the most amazing adaptation imaginable of the game we all love!
* Download .NET for free here. Xbox doesn’t have a good way to let non-developers test games that are currently in development, but we can just build the game for PC and run the test there. We’d like testers to plug the Xbox controller into their USB port though, so that they can get a feel for whether the controls work right. Technically, you don’t need a wired controller if you happen to have a Wireless Gaming Reciever for Windows.
** If you want to be notified for all of our new game announcements and releases, please sign up for our mailing list.